Family reunion


You intend to join your spouse / family in Germany ?
For this purpose you require a “visa for family reunion”.

Processing time: several months.

Required documents:

please submit 3 sets of copies and note that
all copies of your documents have to be
- In DIN A4 size
- Complete and readable
- Not stapled

Additional instructions:


For applications at the Embassy please provide three application forms.

For applications at the Consulate please submit two application forms

- Completely and truly filled out by typewriter
or computer
- Of each person applying
- Signed by the applicant (for minors under
18 years, signed by the parent or guardian)
- Minimum age for applications as a
spouse is 18 years

Three passport photos

- Per applicant and
- Of your spouse/family member in Germany
- Not older than 3 months with white background
- No computer print-outs accepted


Valid Pakistani passport

- Copies of pages 0-3
- Copies of all pages with stamps and

Valid Pakistani ID Card (CNIC)
- Copies of front and back

Copies of former passports (if any)

- Copies of pages 0-3
- Copies of all pages with stamps and

Passport copies of your spouse / family member

- Copies of pages 0-3
- Copies of all pages with stamps and


- All residence permits/visa

Applicant's declaration


Security questionnaire


Copy of spouse's / family member's residence permit, if applicable

In case of residence permit according to §38a: copies of all residence permits of the last two years.

- E.g. “Aufenthaltserlaubnis” or “Niederlassungserlaubnis”

Original NADRA computerized birth certificate

- of all applicants and spouse/family member in Germany (if applicable)

- in Urdu with English or German translation

Original Nikah Nama

- in Urdu with English or German translation

Original NADRA computerized marriage certificate
- in English

Family Registration Certifcate (FRC)

- with parents and


& if applicable:

- with spouse and


- highlighting the family tree structure of the applicant
- with an English or German translation

Proof of previous marriage - if any (for both spouses)

- Original NADRA divorce certificate
- Original NADRA death certificate
- Originals in Urdu with English or German translations

Certificate of residency in Germany (“Melde-bescheinigung”) of your spouse/family mem-ber

- Issued not longer than 6 months back

BAMF deed, if applicable
- positive notice regarding award of refugee status issued by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge, BAMF).

Proof of sufficient basic knowledge of the German language

proof not required by:

- applicants whose spouse is an acknowledged asylum seeker or refugees according to the Geneva Convention for Refugees if the marriage already existed at the time when he or she established their main ordinary residence outside Pakistan

- applicants whose spouse is a Blue Card holder

- applicants who apply for family reunion with their spouse who is a citizen of a EU member state other than Germany

- applicants who apply for family reunion with their German child

- proof (in original and three copies) of your language abilities according to the standards of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE).

In Pakistan, such exams can only be taken at the Goethe-Institut (GI). However, you are free to decide how and where to prepare for these exams.

The A1 language certificate by the Goethe-Institut is sufficient.

For applicants at the Embassy only: Please provide a copy of the appointment confirmation e-mail

- including the provided booking code (e.g. “isla_588207”)

If applicable: (travel) health insurance for 90 days
- the insurance will be requested upon visa issuance

Visa fees (to pay in Rupees)

- Adults: 75 Euro

- Children between 0 and 17 years: 37,50 Euro

If you intend to join a German or EU national, no visa fee will be charged.

Document verification:

If you apply for a family reunion visa, your Pakistani certificates and other documents will need to be verified.

- Fee: 40.000PKR

- Processing time: at least 4 month

In order to apply for a visa to get married in Germany and subsequent permanent settlement you have to submit all the document mentioned above (including the A1 language certificate). Instead of the marriage certificate the following document have to be handed in:

  • Confirmation by the German marriage office (Standesamt) concerning the wedding date,
  • Travel health insurance,
  • Affidavit of support / formal obligation (please refer to the competent Aliens Authority)

Important information for family members of recognized refugees in Germany:

Registration to apply for a long-term visa for family reunion or marriage is not a timely notification in accordance with Section 29 (2) 1 of the Residence Act!

To benefit from a simplified visa process, the timely notification must be submitted by you or your family member in Germany within 3 months after recognition as a refugee. There are three options:

1)      You can take the initial step of submitting a timely notification via www.familyreunion-syria.diplo.de. Follow the instructions and submit the timely notification document with your visa application.

2)      Your family member in Germany can submit a timely notification at the competent Aliens Authority in Germany.

3)      You or your lawyer can submit a timely notification by sending a letter to the competent mission abroad. Please provide the following information:

-          family name, given name, date of birth  and passport number of the applicants

-          purpose of your trip

-          family name, given name, date of birth  and residence permit of your family member in Germany

Additional content

Here you can download the list of required documents for family reunion visas.

Top of page