You intend to study in Germany?
For this purpose you require a “study visa”.
The processing time for a study visa is currently between 5 and 10 weeks. Please apply for the next semester only if there is a minimum time frame of 5 weeks between your appointment date and the enrolment date/starting date of the semester. Otherwise a punctual start of your studies will not be possible. The Embassy reserves the right to send away applicants who want to hand in a study visa application less than 5 weeks before the start of the upcoming semester.
Current waiting times for visa appointment:
- DAAD or AvH/recipient of a full scholarship paid by an official german academic institution e.g. daad or avh - approximately 2 weeks
- phd students or post-doctoral students holding an admission letter from a german university or researchers - approximately 2 weeks
- master students holding a binding and unconditional admission letter from a german University - 7 months
- none of the above priority categories - 8 months
Documents to be submitted for a study/pathway program (Studienkolleg) visa
Please note that all copies of your documents have to be
Please provide two sets of A4 size photocopies.
You have to arrange each set of documents according to the order in which they are mentioned below.
1. Application form
- signed by the applicant
2. Biometric picture
- not older than three months and white background
3. Letter of admission to a German University/acceptance to pathway program
4. Proof of sufficient financial means by way of one of the options
Proof of blocked account or scholarship award or official obligation from immigration office in Germany (further details: Blocked Accounts)
5. Your curriculum vitae
6. Letter of motivation (only for Consulate General Karachi)
7. Documentation of your school, college and academic degree and employment history - if any
- B.A., BSC, B.COM, BBA, BCS, M.A., MSc. etc.-
- The academic degrees and transcripts need to be attested by HEC (Higher Education Commission) if done in Pakistan
8. Proof of your language skills
Please provide proof of your language proficiency according to the standards of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE):
If your field of studies is going to be lectured in German, tests such as
“Zertifikat Deutsch” at least A2 level certificate or better [by Goethe-Institut (GI)]
need to be presented.
If your field of studies is going to be lectured in English, tests such as TOEFL (minimum score of 550 points for the paper based test or 213 points for the computerbased test) or IELTS (Band 6.0) are required.
However, such proofs are not necessary if the university you are admitted to confirms in its letter of acceptance that your language skill has been proved sufficient.
Please note that it lies within the discretion of the visa sections to ask for further evidence of language skills depending on the individual case.
9. Income proof and bank statements of last 6 months of yourself or of your sponsor in Pakistan (only for Embassy Islamabad)
If you provide income proof and bank statements from your sponsor, please attach a letter from your sponsor that he is ready to cover your expenses during your studies. If the sponsor is your mother/father, please also provide a copy of their ID card. If the sponsor is a sibling, please also provide their ID card and your FRC to prove your relation to the sponsor.
10. Passport copies page 1 and 2
Of all your passports starting with the most recent one you want to travel on. If you lost a passport, please provide police certificate regarding the loss instead
11. Valid health insurance
-Needs to be signed
You will have to take out health insurance in Germany before getting enrolled in the university. However, for the time period until you are settled in Germany, you have to submit a preliminary health insurance with your application.
Please note that Category “D” national visas for students are normally issued with a validity of 3 months from the date of travel onwards to enable the passport holder to enter Germany and register at the relevant authorities (Ausländerbehörde). For the convenience of the passport holder it is now possible to issue such a visa with the validity of 6 months, if a matching travel health insurance is provided.
Please provide the Visa Section with a travel health insurance valid for at least 6 months from your intended date of travel onwards so that a visa with a validity of 6 months may be issued, if possible.
For the possibilities to take out health insurance please see the following link:
12. Information about any previous visa refusals
If you have been refused a visa by an Embassy or High Commission, written explanation about reason for application and refusal letter are required.
15. Appointment confirmation e-mail (only for Embassy Islamabad)
- including the provided booking code (e.g. “isla_9729717”)
Please be informed that you have to provide all documents as originals (including all of your passports). They will be returned to you on the same day (except the passport you intend to travel on which stays with the Embassy during the processing time of your visa application).
You can find a print-out version of this page under the following link: Study visa - leaflet
Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we can not accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.
1) Blocked bank accounts From 1 January 2020, the presumed annual requirement that must be paid into the blocked account when applying for a visa will increase to 10,236 euros. This increased…