Current waiting time for visa appointment: 3 months
Documents to be submitted for a work visa
Please note that all copies of your documents have to be
Embassy Islamabad: Please provide two sets of A4 size photocopies.
Consulate General Karachi: Please provide one set of A4 size photocopies.
In case you apply for a visa as a speciality cook please provide three sets of A4 size photocopies. Please also bring 40.000,00 PKR (in 5000er notes) for the necessary document verification.
You have to arrange each set of documents according to the order in which they are mentioned below.
1. Application form
- signed by the applicant
2. Biometric picture
- not older than three months and white background
3. Work contract
4. Consent from the Federal Agency for Work (“Vorabzustimmung”) if applicable
5. Your curriculum vitae
6. Documentation of your school, college and academic degree and employment history - if any
- B.A., BSC, B.COM, BBA, BCS, M.A., MSc. etc.-
- The academic degrees and transcripts need to be attested by HEC (Higher Education Commission) if done in Pakistan
- If you apply for a visa for which it is required (e.g. blue card) you have to prove the equivalence of your foreign university degree to a German university degree. For this you have to submit a statement of comparability (KMK website) or an Anabin-extract matching your main subject and your university exactly (Anabin website)
7. Passport copies page 1 and 2
Of all your passports starting with the most recent one you want to travel on. If you lost a passport, please provide police certificate regarding the loss instead
8. ID card copy
9. Valid health insurance
-Needs to be signed
You will have to take out health insurance in Germany. However, for the time period until you are settled in Germany, you have to submit a preliminary health insurance with your application.
For the possibilities to take out health insurance please see the following link:
Please note that Category “D” national visas for work are normally issued with a validity of 3 months from the date of travel onwards to enable the passport holder to enter Germany and register at the relevant authorities (Ausländerbehörde). For the convenience of the passport holder it is now possible to issue such a visa with the validity of 6 months, if a matching travel health insurance is provided.
Please provide the Visa Section with a travel health insurance valid for at least 6 months from your intended date of travel onwards so that a visa with a validity of 6 months may be issued, if possible.
10. Information about any previous visa refusals
If you have been refused a visa by an Embassy or High Commission, written explanation about reason for application and refusal letter are required.
13. Appointment confirmation e-mail (only for Embassy Islamabad)
- including the provided booking code (e.g. “isla_9729717”)
You also have to provide all original documents (including all of your passports). They will be returned to on the same day (except the passport you intend to travel on which stays with the Embassy during the processing time of your visa application).
You can find a print-out version of this page under the following link: Work visa - leaflet
The spouse and the children of future blue card holders can file their visa applications together with the future blue card holder on his/her work visa appointment. They don’t have to get an extra appointment for family reunion. This regulation does NOT apply to the spouse and the children of blue card holders who are already in Germany.